For the full announcement, click here.
The organising committee for The English Musical Renaissance and the Church and the Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies invite proposals for this one-day conference to be held at Durham University on the 5 November 2018.
We invite researchers to submit proposals engaging with perspectives on the relationship between composers associated with the English Musical Renaissance (EMR) and the church. PhD students are especially welcome to submit presentations. Proposals may address, but need not be limited to, the following topics:
- EMR composers and hymnody
- EMR composers and science, especially evolutionary thought
- EMR composers, revealed and natural theologies
- EMR composers and the liturgy
- Analytical approaches to the church music of EMR composers
- The church music of EMR composers and the long nineteenth century
- EMR composers, and sacralisation of the secular
- EMR composers, legacies today